Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chevy Volt thinks it can get 230 MPG . . .



I love progress! That said, GM claims that the Chevy Volt can get 230 mpg. I know, how cool is that! Currently the Toyota Prius averages about 50 city and highway combined. The Volt starts with a 40 mile range on electricity. So if you are only running local errands you can possibly do so using no gas. After that a small engine kicks in that generates the electricity. The battery packs can be plugged into a regular outlet and can be fully charged for about 40 cents a day.

So now the bad news. It probably won't be available till the end of 2010. There are still a lot of kinks they are working out in the battery and power cord. Also the first models are gonna cost about $40,000 base. So if you need some extras (sunroof, etc.) it's gonna cost you. But still very promising news. Ahhh taxpayers money making the rich richer, the American way.

GM is trying to do what it can to make a difference, what are you gonna do?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sam,
I beat everyone here. Although, not many of the family comments, not sure why.

Does it say how fast it goes?

I can't say I am doing much since I have an SUV.

Sorry, but I am doing something where I using my plastic shopping bags as garbage bags. I'm doing this since I am in temp housing.

Also, I bought my reusable bags from the UK here so I'll start using them instead of getting the plastic one from the supermarket.

Your favorite cuz in CO