Friday, April 10, 2009

Cardboard solar oven wins first prize

I know, I know, I'm sorry it has been awhile but I just don't want to post anything just to post. I really hope to post things that I find interesting and that I think can help motivate you, the reader, to make a change. This is a story that I loved.



This cardboard solar oven that can be made for around $6, can very well change the lives of many. Jon Bomer, the Kenya-based entrepreneur who invented the cooker, set out to transform the lives of villagers in developing world who use firewood to cook.

Here are just some of the ways this brilliant invention can make an impact:

Decreases carbon emissions created from burning firewood.
Slows down deforestation by curbing the need for firewood.
Removes indoor smoke pollution and the health problems associated with it.
Lowers the cost of energy since fuel from the sun is free.
Allows families to easily boil water so they can have access clean drinking water.
Eliminates the need for children to spend time looking for firewood so they can spend that time in school.

The best thing about this solar oven is that it can be easily be made by anyone and it doesn't cost that much. Kudos to Jon Bomer for making a difference in creating something that can make a difference. So now what are you going to do?

No comments: