Sunday, April 19, 2009

Doing my part for Earth Day 2009








Leading up to Earth Day I was struggling to do something different than last year (cleaning up a local park) and I was happy to find that The Planet Green network, with many other sponsors, created and hosted over fifty events during the weekend for people to volunteer for. As I looked through the list one posting caught my eye. A tree planting in the Pomonok Housing complex. Why you ask did this catch my eye? I grew up playing basketball in their playground for years. I know, how cool! So I figured that one was for me so I picked another. Back to the Sack project asked volunteers to create reusable bags that will be given out free to get people not to use plastic bags. They asked that you bring old clothing to make into bags.

I had so much fun at both events. I was part of a team that planted 6 of the 300 trees. Some of those trees right in front of my friends old apartments. And I made a couple of bags but pictured was my first and favorite. I had a lot of help from a new friend Lisa, she did the sewing, but it was my shirt and my design. As you can see in the pics it's big. It was my old Eddie Bauer shirt with a stain in the front and now it will help reduce the use of plastic bags. Check out the website Bags for the People they have an event every first Monday of the month.

This is the time that I normally ask you "so what are you gonna do?" Not this time, I just hope I motivated you enough to do something on your own. Happy Earth Day, there is only one world so take care of it.

No comments: