Monday, June 22, 2009

Bags for the People

This post is long overdue. Bags for the People had an event in the city back on Earth Day Weekend in which I had so much fun. If you read my post back in April I mentioned them briefly with the plan of writing a post just about them. Better late than never. Since Earth Day I've attended a couple of their "Sweatshop Socials" and a fundraiser event for them and always had a great time and met some cool people. But in particular Glenn and Megan are devoted and passionate people that made me feel as though I've known them for years. They work together at the Union Square Farmers Market and started Bags for the People because they hated giving out plastic bags when they sold things. "Sweatshop Socials" are every last Monday of the month in Brooklyn (go to the website for more information). And there are also other events throughout the month. If you look at my old post, look at the pictures. I made a big bag from an old shirt of mine and I was so proud it, it was hard to let go. I am not doing them justice with this post so check out the website for yourself. Go to an event and make some bags, tell Glenn and Megan I said hi, or better yet give me a call and I'll take you there myself.

So Glenn and Megan are making a difference, what are you gonna do?

No comments: