Tuesday, November 17, 2009

No bag refunds



I have to admit that I don't really look at receipts when I purchase things at the supermarket. I look at the register screen while I'm being rung up to make sure I'm not over charged. But I never look at the actual receipt. I made my purchase at the supermarket the other day and I bought the wrong item so I looked at the receipt for return policy on food items and found at the bottom of my receipt that I was refunded 2 cents for having my own bag. Now 2 cents is not going to make me a rich man but I was surprised that it was there. I usually go to the self check out aisle because the line is shorter but when you purchase loose vegetables you're better off at the regular checkout. When I returned my item to the store I asked about it and they said that when the cashiers see that the person has their own bag they give the refund. They will not ask, only if they see your bag. Some markets actually give up to a 5 cents refund. Again 2 cents will not put your children through college but it is a nice gesture. In this hard economy every penny counts, right? So bring your bags to the store the next time you go shopping, hold them up proud and get your refund. Learn how to make your own bags from old t-shirts HERE. Or join my friends at Bags for the People at one of their events and learn how to make a bag out of anything.

So now supermarkets are stepping up and doing their part to be "Green" and encourage their shoppers to do so as well, what are you gonna do?

No comments: