Saturday, December 8, 2007

So what have I done so far you ask?

Well those who know me, know I have a pretty bad track record when it comes to environmental issues that's why this site may have been a surprise to a lot of you.

Well I have stepped up my effort in recycling at home. I read that with all the information out there about global warming, people are still not recycling to full effect. The average American produces 4 pounds of waste (garbage) everyday and within those averages Californians produce 7 pounds and New Yorkers produce 5 pounds. That is compared to the Japanese that average 2 pounds a day. Out of that 4 pounds of waste we Americans produce 15% is recyclable and we just throw it away.

I have purchased bags that I use for my food shopping. I try to avoid plastic bags when I shop. On average I believe that I eliminate at least 12 bags a month. If you do get a plastic bag try to reuse them for trash and not just throw them out. I keep my cloth bags in my car because you never know when your going to go shopping for something.

I do try and walk more often, when running errands.

Here is a quick list of ten things to can do to for the planet

1. Change a bulb to CFL, each bulb uses 65% less energy than a regular bulb.
2. Drive a energy efficient car or at least keep your car well maintained.
3. Take more public transportation.
4. Clean Green, use environmentally safe cleaning products.
5. Recycle, Recycle, Recycle.
6. Eat local or Organic, Local products use less gas to travel to you and organic foods put less chemicals in the earth.
7. Buy energy saving appliances with the "Energy Saving" labels.
8. Conserve Water, low flow water shower heads and take shorter showers.
9. Adjust the thermostat, 1 or 2 degrees down in the winter and 1 or 2 degrees up in the summer.
10. Speak up, contact your local politician and let them know your concerns.

And speak up here let me know your tips for a greener earth and we can all share and learn.

No comments: